“Breakthrough in Maine! Ron Paul exceeds expectations yet again”:
It looks the party bosses have “officially” declared Romney the winner in Maine, even though not all the votes are counted from all the precincts, and the (heh heh) “unofficial” actual count will still change with the pending votes.
And it’s a virtual tie. But is it? Romney only has 194 votes on Ron Paul so far with 83.7% of precincts reporting.
Washington County (pop. 32,856) postponed its caucuses due to the threat of 1-3″ of snow (which did not materialize). They will be voting next Saturday. However, Maine GOP Executive Director Michael Quatrano announced that the official results are permanent and will not be changed when the new votes come in.
Washington County GOP Chairman Chris Gardner objected, saying he had known his county’s tally wouldn’t be included in Saturday’s announcement but didn’t realize it wouldn’t be counted at all. He said he had called state party leaders and “expressed my complete and utter dismay.”
Some have called Washington County a “Ron Paul stronghold” that could have propelled Ron Paul to a Maine victory. Ron Paul campaign chairman Jesse Benton suggested that the Romney campaign was involved in the cancellation of the caucus as Paul’s campaign had expected to do well: “It’s not completely insidious, but they knew we were going to swamp it up there.”
In 2008 Ron Paul got 8 out of 113 votes (7%) while Mitt Romney received 40 out of 113 votes (35%) in the county. If Romney had remained stagnant at 40 votes and Ron Paul had received an additional 227 votes (+ in Washington County, Paul would have won Maine.
- Ron Paul: Who Won Maine? (reason.com)
- George Will on Why Ron Paul is Right About Foreign Policy and Mitt Romney is Wrong (trutherator.wordpress.com)
- Did Ron Paul Win Maine? (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- Paul Campaign Points To Anomalies In Romney Maine “Victory”: Slams mainstream media, suggests Romney may have had a hand in canceling key county caucuses (destructionist.wordpress.com)
- Ron Paul: All Your Delegates Are Belong To Us (crooksandliars.com)
- Ron Paul’s Energetic Speech After Solid Second Place Finish in Maine.avi (tatoott1009.com)
- Mitt Romney ‘Wins’ The Maine Caucuses, Unless Ron Paul Actually Won Them (businessinsider.com)